Lisa's Sober Blog Pages Of Interest

Tuesday 8 May 2018

A Little More Sober: Lisa L'Heureux

Between Saturday, September 21st, 2013 and Tuesday, May 8th, 2018 is 1,690 days. This is 4 years, 7 months, and 17 days.

The more I do
The more I feel
I can do
-Sober Lisa

In the third of the Lisa's Sober Blog Books it says:

22 September 2013

I am finally home from the treatment center. I borrowed twenty dollars from my friend to take the bus out of the city to go home. I left the twenty someplace or dropped it, I don't know, but I didn't have it when I was at the bus depot. I bummed some money off a couple of strangers at the bus depot before boarding to pay for my ticket.

I  had called my driver to meet me off the bus but he wasn't there. I walked across the field toward a bar I know on the corner so I could use the phone there. I have no money and was just panhandling to get on the bus.

As I get close to the doors, my driver pulls up to the bar and my lover gets out of the car and goes in. He looks disheveled. My driver continues on down the road to the bus stop to pick me up. I follow my lover into the bar.

He sees me, he says, "You look healthy." The bartender puts two one ounce shots of tequila onto the counter. This is the order of my lover. I take one of the shots into my hand and down it. The sweet bitterness of it slides smoothly down my throat.

This is my last drink. I know it is. I have no urge to have another. If I do, I know that I will have a smoke. I do not want to have a smoke. I can no longer drink.

***

They say that everyone has their rock bottom and this was mine. I knew that if I continued to drink that day or any day I would be rendered helpless and made a decision that moment not to do that to myself. I had quit drinking almost three weeks before this day before I had gone into the treatment center. I know right? I actually went to treatment and the day after I got out this final drink happened. Who does that? A lot of people. Probably more than we think.

Today is an important day for me. Is it my birthday? An anniversary? Did I win the lottery? Not really. I know that it is special because I didn't wake up this morning with an irresistible urge to go to the liquor store. This morning I was free not to have a cigarette. Sometimes the days are hard but being clean and makes them special.

Lisa L'Heureux A.K.A. Sober Lisa



Since you are here,

Lisa L'Heureux is the author of 7 books. Her work includes the Lisa's Sober Blog Series, This and the Man in the Moon and This One is About Domestic Violence. She lives in Alberta with her family.

​More than 4 1/2 years ago, Lisa took a life-giving "retirement", quitting practicing alcoholism.

Lisa On Facebook

Buy the Lisa's Sober Blog Books!
They can be purchased at Lisa's e-Store and More
Downloads are also available at The New Lisa L'Heureux
Like us on Facebook at Lisa's Sober Blog

Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment