Lisa's Sober Blog Pages Of Interest

Thursday 29 March 2018

Sobriety: The Best Thing I Did This Decade?

It had been a long day drinking previously. I woke up by myself at 4:30 A.M. Thirsty. So. Thirsty. I had found myself on the couch 4 feet away from the kitchen. I rolled onto the floor. Hands and knees. Using the furniture, I pulled myself to my feet. Shakey. Shakey. Running my hand along the wall I used for support, I lurched through the kitchen door. Leaning on the door, I spied the final dregs of the last two-litre alcoholic cooler I had been drinking before I passed out. I grabbed it and drank the sweet, warm contents until they were gone. I threw the empty container into the kitchen sink. Strengthened momentarily, I walked to my room and flopped onto my bed. In less than 24 hours I was to be picked up from my house to spend one evening drying out at my boyfriend's mom's house, within 48 hours I would be at the treatment centre.

That was in 2013. I am still recovering. I have daily tasks and exercises that I must do most of the time that helps to ensure the continued positivity of my journey. Other than that, I have faith that my actions and behaviours of today will assist in bringing the right people, places and circumstances into my life tomorrow. That is a link to a different blog that I began in 2017 at my personal website. The quote fully embraces what I am about today.

It has not been an easy four-and-a-half-years. I have continually had to change and grow in order to keep up to and maintain what I have been working on. I lost friends, children and parts of myself that I will never retrieve in this life. The longer I remain in sobriety, the more important it becomes to me to share what happened to me and build something good and worthwhile out of it all. If my story can help one person to stay sober today then it is worth it. If my words can be used as a tool amongst other, more important tools to keep things like loneliness and grief at bay, then my work has not been in vain.

I tried to commit suicide when I was thirteen, it was not a cry for help or a teenager looking for attention, I wanted to die. There was no Google back then to search the correct procedure. In fact, turns out I did it right, with the wrong things. Nevertheless, today I watch anxiously for these traits to display themselves in the young girls and women in which I have influence over. I see them growing healthy and strong and I am so glad, so grateful, so full of gratitude, my heart overflows.

All said, good things can and do happen every day. With training, I have been able to see it. I hope that others can see it too.

Lisa L'Heureux A.K.A. Sober Lisa


Since you are here,

Lisa L'Heureux is the author of 7 books. Her work includes the Lisa's Sober Blog Series, This and the Man in the Moon and This One is About Domestic Violence. She lives in Alberta with her family.

​4+ years ago, Lisa took a life-giving "retirement", quitting practicing alcoholism.

Lisa On Facebook

Buy the Lisa's Sober Blog Books!
They can be purchased at Lisa's e-Store and More
Downloads are also available at The New Lisa L'Heureux
Like us on Facebook at Lisa's Sober Blog

Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment