Lisa's Sober Blog Pages Of Interest

Sunday 10 September 2017

Grieving In Sobriety

This post I am struck low by the sudden passing away of my aunt. I met her when I was a teenager, she was younger than I and we found it different because all our other auntie's were older than us. We did not spend that much time together although she did come to visit me and I her, sometimes quite often, when we lived close together. It is tragic, her having been so young, and her family at home must be devastated. She has left behind children and spouse. When I received the message, I thought immediately it must not be her, it must be someone else. I did not want to believe it. May she rest at peace. Many condolences to all the family.

It is difficult to think clearly and concisely with grief on the mind. My heart feels heavy. I have taken steps to prepare myself this week to continue to be able to function. My calendar has reminders for everything, including eating, so that I am sure to take care of myself.

I saw an interesting meme about how people take care of themselves while sad by watching depressing movies or videos. That is something I will have done in the past. Now I think I will try to be gentle with myself and keep on with what I can.

In reality, I do think about drinking, if only for a flash moment, when someone I know passes away. Of course it is because that is how I had coped in the past and I do not like to think about the loss. I do not want to drink.

Recovery month is well upon us. At our Facebook page @thesober blog, we are featuring my fourth year of sobriety. Anyone who knows me or has been following the blog is sure to remember how hard life was for me at first when I sobered up this last time. I was not happy. It has taken a while, but I have had the chance to enjoy sobriety and some days I even find Hope and Serenity.


"Love so hard that your heart aches from it and a tear falls from your eye."
Lisa L'Heureux

No comments:

Post a Comment