Lisa's Sober Blog Pages Of Interest

Monday 6 July 2020

Six Years and Ten Months!!?!

Yes. It is true. It has been almost six years and ten months since I had my last alcoholic beverage. I can barely believe it myself. Had you been me seven years ago, you would not believe it either. I am glad about it. I am still delighted.

I have not posted in a while. You all might know what has been happening in the world lately. However, not many know I have two new children since February. I have had three of "my own" children over the past three years. They happened to be "born" to me at varying ages. Please do not ask me to explain all the quotation marks there, all I can say is, it is complicated. It is all a little complicated. Is it not said, Keep It Simple?

All said, good things can and do happen every day. With training. I have been able to see it. I hope that others can see it too. I train myself. I use a gratitude list. I focus on what needs to be done.




The take-away of my life right now is this: I am a raging alcoholic. By the grace of God, and I believe this with my whole heart, I have been granted a daily reprieve of my alcoholism. I know who I was praying to while I was a staggering drunk so nobody can say this does not exist to me. I already proved time and time again what I would do were I left to my own devices. I lost or destroyed or burned every bridge to every home I had since I was a teenager. In real life, I did not burn anything but maybe a cigarette since I was a teenager. Burnt bridges as a figure of speech... I did quit smoking cigarettes around the same time I quit drinking. I do not vape.

When I first quit drinking, I was sick. Over the years I have become healthier, I have aged too, but who knows what I might have been at if I had not quit the booze? I have seen my drinking friends, those who are still alive...




As the time goes by, being sober becomes more and more the normal for me. I enjoy outings and regular life without having to pick up a drink. Funnily, not funny, I generally got drunk rather quickly so either way, I was not necessarily there for any events anyway. In fact, one guy took me to a hockey game and at one point I was yelling at him and another moment I was asleep in the stands. Please do not get me wrong, I like hockey. The booze took that away from me. I still do not watch enough. However, life has become busy. Later, I keep telling myself, later I will do this or that. I am not fooling myself. I know there are things I will never do again in this life. If drinking alcohol is one of those things then I shall be a happy woman.




Life is a blur sometimes. It is said, time flies when you are having fun!

Thanks for reading.
👀
👀
👀
👇

While you are here,

Lisa L'Heureux is the author of 7 books. Her work includes the Lisa's Sober Blog Series, This and the Man in the Moon and This One is About Domestic Violence. She lives in Alberta, Canada, with her family.

​More than six years and nine months ago, Lisa retired from practicing alcoholism.

Lisa On Facebook

Buy the Lisa's Sober Blog Books!

Like us on Facebook at Lisa's Sober Blog


No comments:

Post a Comment