Lisa's Sober Blog Pages Of Interest

Thursday 20 December 2018

Still Sober Christmas 2018- Lisa L'Heureux

And so this is Christmas...

Greetings to everyone who lays eyes on this post!

It has been more than five years since I had my last alcoholic beverage. In writing and speaking, in my everyday life, I want to continue on the sober path because it helps!

My son had gone off into the world and spent almost two years away, drinking and doing whatever he was doing. Every day I prayed and thought about him. When I would drive around in the city, I would keep an eye out on the streets for him. I knew from friends he was ok, if you could call it that. I knew in my heart he was struggling; call it mother's intuition. I knew.

One day, as I had many other days, I looked at the bus stop by a treatment center. I thought if my son had rough enough times drinking he would go to treatment. Without anticipation, I watched the bus stop as we drove past. Suddenly, I saw him! My son was sitting there at the bus stop I had driven by many times over the period of almost two years looking for him.

My son struggled in treatment. After a short time, I found him again. He came back home to get on his feet. About a month into his stay we had stopped in for a quick burger at a fast food place. We happened to park in a large parking lot mainly facing toward a liquor store. In fact, I bought alcohol at the particular liquor store in the past.

I never think about liquor stores particularily. As we were sitting there eating our burgers, my son said, "Look at mom. She never even looked at the liquor store." I looked up. I gazed at the liquor store. "That's right. There is a liquor store there. I never really look at it." I stated simply.

My son said, "You must have done something right."

I responded, "I have a lot of help."

It's true.

At this time of year when people are celebrating the blessed Lord Jesus's birth or Santa Clause or neither, the Higher Power of an Alcoholic Anonymous is certainly put to the test. Over the clinks of glasses and the Cheers and Beers, it is important to remember that an alcoholic must be honest. To drink or not to drink, that is the question.

I won't.
Just for today.
Happy 24.

-Sober Lisa



Since you are here,

Lisa L'Heureux is the author of 7 books. Her work includes the Lisa's Sober Blog Series, This and the Man in the Moon and This One is About Domestic Violence. She lives in Alberta with her family.

​More than five years ago, Lisa took a life-giving "retirement", quitting practicing alcoholism.

Lisa On Facebook

Buy the Lisa's Sober Blog Books!
They can be purchased at Lisa's e-Store and More
Downloads are also available at The New Lisa L'Heureux
Like us on Facebook at Lisa's Sober Blog

Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment